How to Make the Most of Quarantine
Coronavirus is taking over the world. We can’t look at our phones, watch TV or even have conversations with others without COVID-19 being brought up. Social-distancing and quarantining is much easier said than done and can be boring, but it can also be a time of stress, anxiety and uncertainty. Instead of using this time to dwell, make the most of your time at home!
- READ! Whether you’re reading to your children or reading for yourself, reading is a great way to focus on something else and calm the mind and body, and it’s also a great way to learn! It also takes your eyes away from your phone or TV. Since libraries and bookstores are closed, you can order books online or you can download them on your tablet!
- Along with reading comes learning. Learn something new that you’ve always wanted to learn! There are many online classes available such as cooking and art classes. If you want to go back to school to get a degree (virtually at least) this is the time! If you have kids, your children will be more motivated to learn if they see you doing it. Helping your kids with their classwork is great too, many of us can brush up on old skills!
- Get healthy mentally and physically. Many people say, “I don’t have time to workout” or “I don’t have time to cook healthy meals for myself.” Well, now you have time! Get outside in the fresh air and take your pets on walks or go on bike rides with your family. You don’t need fancy equipment to get a good workout in, but if you want some, many athletic sites are having sales on equipment. Many fitness apps are making their services free for their users too! Use this time to experiment with new recipes (this is a fun way to get the kids involved too!) Don’t forget to carve out some time to reflect mentally: journal daily, do yoga and meditate, draw a hot bath and take care of yourself!
- Spring is in the air too, so we all know what this means. Spring cleaning! Set some days out each week to take on a new project like cleaning out your closet or garage, painting a room, organizing the kitchen, or mowing the lawn and planting some flowers. By the time things go back to normal, your home will be just the way you want it!
- Most of all, take the time to do what YOU want to do. That may be doing everything on this list, or that may be sitting on the couch watching movies. There’s no wrong answer! Just remember to do your part in flattening the curve by staying home and trying to stay healthy. We’re all in this together!